The Saint Paul Port Authority took title to the 46.5-acre, former 3M Main Plant Campus with an overarching goal of redeveloping the blighted site to bring back jobs and tax base that were lost when 3M Corporation vacated the site. Redevelopment of the former 3M campus into the Beacon Bluff Business Center was crucial to the City of Saint Paul’s master plan for revitalizing neighborhoods and businesses located in and around the site. This hugely successful, multifaceted project involved closely coordinating a multitude of professional disciplines and contractors spanning across a vast array of tasks and subprojects from project conception through completion. Highlights of these tasks include initial due diligence, owner’s representation tasks, civil engineering design, historic preservation efforts, environmental assessments, extensive site planning around a network of roadways and heavy rail lines, and final design to deliver clean, pad-ready sites. The project won several awards from a multitude of organizations.
- 2011 Seven Wonders of the Engineering World, Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers
- 2011 Sustainable Communities Award, Minnesota Environmental Initiative
- 2011 Environmental Excellence Award, National Demolition Association
- 2012 Grand Award Winner, Consulting Engineering Council
- 2012 People’s Choice Award, Consulting Engineering Council